Little Box of Nuance (LBON): The Cultural Approach
The Little Box of Nuance is made by dr. Rutger de Graaf and previous students in this MOOC for those of you who would like to read more on certain topics discussed in this course. The readings are not required for the course, but we recommend having a look at it. A three minute video only gives a limited time to go in depth into a subject, so if you want to know more about something discussed by the lecturer, have a look at the suggested readings.
These readings are not required to pass the course and are listed here in case you are interested in additional resources and want to learn more.
- Asch, S. E. (1951). Effects of group pressure on the modification and distortion of judgements. In H. Guetzkow (Ed.), Groups, leadership and men (pp. 177–190). Pittsburgh: Carnegie Press.
Description: More information on the Asch experiments.
- Dall, H. & Boas, F. (1887). Museums of ethnology and their classification. Science, 9, 587-589.
Description: An article about the first idea on cultural relativism by Franz Boas.
- McCracken, G. (1986). Culture and consumption: A theoretical account of the structure and movement of the cultural meaning of consumer goods. Journal of Consumer Research, 13, 71-84.
Description: An article about the meaning of culture in a consumer society.
- Hall, S. (1992). “The Question of Cultural Identity”. In: Hall, David Held, Anthony McGrew, eds, Modernity and Its Futures. Cambridge: Polity Press, pp. 274–316.
Description: An article about the formation of cultural identity.
- Berger, P. L., & Luckmann, T. (1956). The social construction of reality. New York: Doubleday.
Description: Berger and Luckmann’s important book on social constructionism.
- McLuhan, M. (1962). The Gutenberg galaxy. Ontario: University of Toronto Press.
Description: McLuhan’s book on the effects of mass media on culture and human consciousness.
- McLuhan, M. & Fiore, Q. (1967). The medium is the massage. Retrieved from: http://bookza.org
Description: McLuhan’s book on the re-invention of people through technologies
- Noelle-Neumann, E. (1993). The spiral of silence: Public opinion – our social skin. Chicago: University of Chicago Press
Description: More information on the spiral of silence.